The Seminary of Christ the King was founded in 1931 by Archbishop William M. Duke of Vancouver. In 1939, with the approval of the Holy See, the Archbishop entrusted the Seminary to Benedictine monks as a training centre for both diocesan and religious priesthood students. In 1951 the Seminary opened the Faculty of Theology. The Monastery was raised to abbatial status in 1953 under the title Westminster Abbey. In 1966, through its own University Charter, the Seminary was empowered to grant the Bachelor of Arts degree as well as degrees in Theology.
For a more in depth look at the history of the Seminary see: “Our History: The Full Story” by Father Augustine Kalberer, osb.